Jan 4, 2017
We’re always striving to make our products as stable as possible. We’ve been working on a firmware update to the Ultimaker 3 to address issues and make important improvements. Here’s a quick summary of the changes.
- The new active leveling takes less time by starting closer to the build plate.
- The new measurement system probes on 6 positions instead of 4. This has proven to be more reliable.
Unloading material and print core procedures
The unload/change materials/print core procedure is now faster. When the material is properly deprimed, the heat up sequence is skipped for faster unload/change procedures.
Print cores and XY calibration
- Print core communication with firmware and software has been improved. It now covers all uncalibrated possibilities and communicates this to the user. The moment you start to print with an uncalibrated configuration, the Ultimaker 3 will advise you to calibrate the print core.
- The reliability and readability of the XY calibration print have been improved to correct over-extrusion.
- Usage data about print cores is now stored within “About the Printer”. Now you can read the amount of time that a print core was used, the amount of material it has extruded, and the maximum temperature achieved.
We improved the stability of scanning material spools to make this feature more reliable.
The build plate and print head action was slightly changed for safety. The print head is now accessible without encountering hand injury from the heated build plate.
Ultimaker 3 in relation to Cura
There is now an extra interface within the printer so that Cura can identify where it is an Ultimaker 3 or Ultimaker 3 Extended.
UI texts and components were refined and polished for clarity.
Power budget is optimized to prevent overload of the power supply.
DRAM frequency in the boot loader has been reduced to prevent printers from freezing.
Do you need help updating the firmware? Check out this guide. Do you have any questions or comments? Join our community of 3D printing experts and innovators!