Do you like to work on product development in a multidisciplinary team? Are you able to conduct research in order to gain and share knowledge associated with product development and the continuous improvement of the 3D printing process? Can you create designs using 3D CAD software and have a hands-on attitude? If you fit this profile, you might be our new Mechanical Design Engineer.
What will you be doing?
As part of the Hardware R&D team, you will work on concepts and hardware development projects for Ultimaker’s new products. You will also contribute to project planning.
In addition, you will be responsible for guiding and training junior colleagues, helping them to develop their engineering skills.
Regular tasks include:
- Translating high-level requirements into detailed requirements for new products and sub-systems
- Working within a team to create new products and technologies
- Designing and engineering products for mass production
- Identifying risks and taking appropriate action
- Assessing concept feasibility, calculating costs, analyzing tolerances, and making structural mechanical calculations and simulations
- Planning projects with input from management
- Guiding a team of engineers on a project
- Training junior colleagues
What will your team look like?
You will report to the Hardware Manager and work closely with your colleagues in the R&D department. You will work within interdisciplinary project teams, guided by an R&D project leader. These include software, electronics, process, and mechanical engineers.
What have we worked on recently?
- The development of the Ultimaker S5
- The development of new accessories for the S5
- The design of test rigs for research purposes, performing tests, and reporting the results
What will your day in the office look like?
You’ll start with a short meeting with your team to discuss priorities and delegate tasks. You’ll then review a concept that one of the engineers in the team has been working on. Together with one of the software engineers, you’ll work on solving issues from a prototype that you have been working on. You will have contact with our part suppliers on a regular basis, for example, to discuss the design for the manufacturing of injection-molded parts. You will also keep in close contact with the manufacturing engineers at our factory to help them to resolve issues along our assembly line, specifically following a new product launch.
Do you fit this profile?
- Bachelor degree in Mechanical Engineering, or the equivalent
- Five or more years’ work experience as an engineer
- Creative thinking
- Excellent CAD skills
- The ability to prioritize, plan, organize, and follow-up
- The ability to work in a multi-disciplinary environment
Definitely a plus
- Basic programming and electronics skills (design and make Arduino based test setups and writing Python scripts)
- Experience with Solidworks
- Experience with Solidworks PDM
The benefits of working with us
- A competitive salary in line with your experience
- Ultimaker makes contributions to your pension
- We pay for your daily commute
- 27 days of paid leave per year
- Use of an Ultimaker 3D printer
- An open, family atmosphere and fun work environment
- Work in a young and energetic team
- Lunch with healthy sandwiches, salads, and a daily special
- A convenient location within walking distance of public transport and near the highway
- Room to expand your knowledge by following courses and going to meetups
Ultimaker has been in operation since 2011, and over the years has grown to become a market leader, creating powerful, professional, and accessible desktop 3D printers. With offices in the Netherlands, New York, Boston, and Singapore, plus production facilities in both Europe and the US, Ultimaker’s team of over 250 employees continually strives to offer the highest-quality 3D printers, software, and materials on the market.
We offer you the chance to become a part of a young, fast-growing, technically advanced company. We are focused on further developing the Ultimaker, developing the world of 3D printing, and further expanding the skills of our people.
We are ordinary people with extraordinary plans. Creating high-quality products is our driver. Our passion and creativity help us to make the unbelievable believable. Just like our community of tenacious tinkerers, we love to try new ideas and see what works. In fact, they often conceive of wonders we could never have imagined on our own. Together we make one hell of a team.
Interested in working with our awesome team? Please contact María Verdú by sending your motivation letter and résumé in English or by phone.
Only candidates eligible to work in the EU will be considered for the position. Unfortunately, given the high volume of applications we receive for our vacancies, those professionals (not entitled to work in the Netherlands) will not be given a status update.
Agency calls will not be appreciated.