To verify a stable connection between Cura and the Ultimaker 3, walk through the steps below to ensure your setup meets the Ultimaker 3’s demands. The steps are given per subject; Ultimaker 3, your network router and Cura software.
Please walk through all the steps from top to bottom to ensure no details are missed.
Ultimaker 3: Power
Ensure the machine is turned on. The main menu should be visible on the LCD display and the LED’s of the machine should be lit.
Insert the power supply and turn the machine on by clicking the power button on the backside of the machine.
Ultimaker 3: Connection
Ensure the Ultimaker 3 is connected to the local network.
- Go to System > Network > Connection status.
If connected through ethernet, the IP address should automatically be retrieved from the router.
- Go to System > Network > Ethernet, make sure the checkbox ‘ethernet’ is enabled.
- Check if the network cable is correctly inserted in the Ultimaker 3 and the network router.
If this does not resolve your case, please continue reading below at ‘Ultimaker 3: Firmware’.
If connected through Wifi, the machine retrieves an ip address when the login data sent from the computer is successful.
- In the Ultimaker 3 network menu, make sure the ‘Wifi’ checkbox is enabled. Although you have done a Wifi setup before, the Ultimaker 3 might have switched to ethernet due to network disconnects.
- Run the Wifi setup on the Ultimaker 3 again to verify the right network and password were used.
Go to System > Network > Run Wifi setup.
Ultimaker 3: Firmware
Ensure the Ultimaker 3 is running the latest firmware.
- Go to System > Maintenance > Update firmware.
The Ultimaker 3 connects to your network router, meaning we are dealing with a lot of different kinds and brands of devices. Most generic routers have little restrictions or security measures and should connect easily, for routers on bigger networks things can get a little more complicated.
Firewalls & Security measures
If you are using the Ultimaker 3 in a company environment on a big network, it might be that the connection from the Ultimaker 3 is refused because of unknown reasons. The Ultimaker 3 uses different network ports for discovery, printer control and the camera feed.
- Contact your IT manager about network router security.
- Ensure the following ports are accessible by the printer and your computer:
- 5353: Discovery
- 80: Printer control
- 8080: Camera feed
- Ensure the network allows communication between devices on the same network freely.
Cura software: Same local network
It is a mistake easily made, especially in an office environment with multiple networks available. Make sure your computer is on the same network as the Ultimaker 3, since they need to be connected in order to communicate with each other.
Cura software: Latest Cura
To get the most stable connection between Cura and the Ultimaker 3, make sure you are running the latest version of Cura. The latest version is available for free here. Download and install the software and run through the connection process again, which can be found here.
Cura software: Re-add Ultimaker 3
The Ultimaker 3’s information, including the MAC address and the security handshake information, is stored in the printer files on your computer. Sometimes the data in these files get corrupted or outdated in unforeseen ways. To resolve this, remove the current Ultimaker 3 and re-add it, read how to do that here.
Cura software: Add Ultimaker 3 manually
The last resort to establish a connection with the printer is to add the IP address of the printer manually.
- Go to System > Network. In this menu, the Ultimaker 3’s IP address is shown in the header.
- Now in Cura, go the ‘manage printers’ and click ‘Add’ (2). A pop-up appears where this IP address can be entered (4). Finally, click ‘Ok’ (5) and finish the procedure.
- Select your Ultimaker 3 if it is listed here.
- Add: Provides a pop-up for entering your printer’s IP address for manual connection.
- Refresh: Use this button to refresh the list of devices, since it might be outdated.
- Enter the Ultimaker 3’s IP address here.
- Click ‘Ok’ to add the given IP address.
If all the methods above do not provide a proper solution, please contact your local reseller.