Start with this file ball2shelled v2.ipt (this file was provided by Lizabeth Arum—see Pioneer Ball Project)
- Open the file ball2shelled v2.ipt in Inventor 2016 or newer.
- Select View> Zoom All
- Add a work plane to the top surface of the object
- Click on plane
- Click the center of the top surface of the object
- Click the top surface a second time to have the work plane appears.
- Verify the plane is in the proper position above the object.
- Zoom to the top view.
- Click the square in the upper right hand corner of the drawing area, click were it is labeled “TOP”.
- Right click on the new work plane.
- Click on Flip Normal.
- Right click near the outer edge of the work plane.
- The work plane should change from a blue color to a brown color.
- Start a 2D Sketch.
- Click on the work plane you added.
- Click near the outer edge of the work plane.
- Click the text tool.
- Click on the work plane you added. A Format text dialog box will appear.
- Add text and make any adjustments to text before clicking ok.
- Use Scale and More to place new text where you would want the text to be.
* Follow steps 8, 9, 10, 11 to add more text if needed.
- Here is a picture with text added, scaled and moved into place.
- Click on Finish Sketch.
- Click on the 3D Model tab.
- Click on Extrude. The extrude dialog box will pop up.
- Set the extrude options to cut.
- Set the distance to 30mm.
- Click on the text to be extruded.
- Click on okay.
- Right click on the Plane, click on visibility to make it invisible.
- Make sure you save your work.
Here is an example of a finished Modified Ball Shell: