- Create a nose cone for a paper/tape rocket
- Hypothesize about how your nosecone will make your rocket fly
- Modify your design, as necessary meet manufacturing needs
- (6) Brainstormed designs
- (1) Inventor .ipt file
- (1) .stl 3D Mesh File
- (1) “A” sized drawing sheets showing the three sides and isometric views of the nosecone.
- (1) paper and tape rocket with your nose cone attached
- (1) altitude testing worksheet
- (3) reflections one for each section
- Base of the nosecone should be a cylinder ∅21.33mm x 5mm tall
- Maximum bounding cylinder is ∅25mm x 60 mm tall
- Minimum wall thickness is 1mm
Steps of nose cone creation Inventor:
- Create the ∅21.33mm circle and extrude it 5mm:
- Create a sketch of the profile of your nose cone:
- Revolve Profile to complete shape:
Consider the following and respond accordingly, you may hand write this or type it on separate sheet:
Brainstorming & Exploring Reflection Prompts
- What types of jets/rockets did you look at, how did they influence your design?
- What is the story of one of your artistic ideas, where did it come from or what did you try and mimic?
- Please describe your rockets first flight/what is your prediction for how it fly?
Protyping Reflection Prompts
- What were 2 challenges you had in creating your nose cone?
- Why is it important to follow the constraints? If you don’t follow them, what can happen when your design is printed/flown?
Refine Reflection Prompts
- What changes did you need to make to your design before/due to manufacturing (3D printing)?
- Was your hypotheses about your flight correct? If not please describe how it was different.
- What changes would you make to your design if you were to repeat this exercise?
Rocket Flight Data Collection:
|Flight 1||Flight 2||Flight 3|
|Conditions or Mishaps|
You will be graded as Exemplary (6 pts.), Met (5 pts.), Partially Met (3 pts.) or Didn’t Meet (0 pts.)
|At least 6 noticeably different designs have been given||E||M||P||D|
|Nose Cone Design|
|Base Extrusion is ∅21.33mm x 5mm||M||D|
|Nose cone is within bounding cylinder ∅25mm x 60 mm tall||M||D|
|No walls are thinner than 1mm||M||D|
|Principles of Design|
|Nose cone reflects the chosen brainstorming design||E||M||P||D|
|Designs show creativity and intension||E||M||P||D|
|Nose Cone is manufacturable as designed (or modified)||E||M||P||D|
|Rocket has been built to standard||E||M||P||D|
|Inventor .ipt file submitted||M||D|
|3D Mesh file in mm submitted (.stl format) M D|
|Drawing sheet created||M||D|
|Flight Data Table||M||D|