To make sure that your print head and Z stage can move smoothly at all times, it is advised to lubricate the axles periodically. If the axles feel dry, this can show in your prints as small ridges on surfaces. Apply some oil to the axles at least once a month.
A bottle of machine oil is included in the Accessory Box of your Ultimaker 3. This oil is specifically for the smooth axles of the Ultimaker 3. Only use the supplied machine oil, as using other oils or Magnalube may affect the coating of the axles, which can affect the performance of your Ultimaker 3.
Note: Because the amount of machine oil supplied with the Ultimaker 3 is more than sufficient for one year of maintenance of the printer, it is not included in the Maintenance Kit.
X and Y axles
Apply a small drop of machine oil to each of the X and Y axles as well as both print head shafts. Manually move the print head around to equally distribute the oil.
⚠Caution: Do not apply too much oil to the axles, as it might drip off the axles and onto the glass plate, which will affect adhesion. If a drop of oil does fall on the glass, make sure to clean it thoroughly before printing.
Apply a small drop of machine oil to each of the Z axles. In the Ultimaker menu, go to “System > Build plate”. Select “Raise” and then “Lower” to move the build plate up and down in order to equally distribute the oil.
Ultimaker 3 Maintenance Kit
- Clean the printer
- Lubricate the axles
- Check for play on axles
- Check the tension of the short belts
- Check for residue in the front fan of the print head
- Check the quality of the silicone cover
- Lubricate the lead screw of the Z motor
- How to use cleaning filament
- Clean the feeders
- Replace the Bowden tubes
- Advanced 3D Printing Kit for Ultimaker 3
Ultimaker 2+ Maintenance Kit
- Installing the Extrusion Upgrade kit
- Removing the cable cover
- Loosening the electronics
- Disconnecting the cables
- Replacing the feeder
- Replacing the build plate clamps
- Removing the print head
- Installing the new print head
- The bowden tube
- Guiding the cables
- Connecting the cables
- Attaching the main board
- Attaching the cable cover
- Aligning the axles
- Firmware and bed leveling
- Completing the upgrade
- Extrusion upgrade
- Advanced 3D Printing Kit for Ultimaker 2+
- Olsson block upgrade
Dual Extrusion kit
- Print head