The silicone cover shields the print cores from cold airflow from the fans, which helps the print cores to maintain a stable temperature while printing. The cover also helps to prevent backflow of material into the print head when something goes wrong during printing.
The silicone cover may wear over time due to the heat of the nozzles. It is recommended to check the quality of the cover at least once every three months.
Examine the bottom of the print head to see if the holes where the nozzles come through are still round and the cover still forms a good seal. Also gently open the fan bracket to check the other side of the silicone nozzle cover.
According to these images, it is highly recommended to replace the cover on the left, advisable to replace the cover in the middle. The cover on the right is in perfect condition and will not need to be replaced.
Replace the silicone cover
If the silicone cover needs to be replaced, follow these instructions.
- 1x 2161 Silicone nozzle cover
- 5 minutes (Longer if the nozzles have to cool down first)
1. Open the fan bracket
- Move the print head to the front and place it approximately in the middle of the X axle for easier access.
- Gently open the front fan bracket.
⚠Caution: Make sure both print cores are cooled down. Do not perform the following steps if the nozzles are hot as there is a risk of burning yourself.
2. Remove the old silicone cover
- Push the left side of the silicone cover out through the fan bracket with a screwdriver or your finger.
- From the underside of the fan bracket, take the left side of the cover and pull the silicone cover out.
1. Place the new silicone cover
- Hold the silicone cover with the flat side facing down and the larger hole on the right.
- Hold it behind the open fan bracket.
2. Insert the top and bottom tabs
- From the underside of the fan bracket, first insert the two tabs at the top.
- Bend the silicone cover to fit the two tabs at the bottom of the fan bracket.
3. Align the left and right side
- Press on the underside of the silicone cover at the left and right side to fit the flaps on either side of the fan bracket.
4. Align the middle
- Take the left side of the cover between your thumb and index finger. Pull it slightly towards the left and towards you to fit it around the metal strip in the middle.
- Take the right side of the cover between your thumb and index finger. Pull it slightly towards the right and towards you to fit it around the metal strip in the middle.
5. Ensure that the new cover is correctly aligned
- The silicone cover should be completely flat on the underside of the fan bracket.
- If it is not, adjust the silicone cover’s flaps accordingly.
6. Close the fan bracket
- If the new silicone cover is correctly placed, close the front bracket again.