The firmware update procedure differs for networked and non-networked Ultimaker printers. Ultimaker Cura is only needed when updating firmware to the Ultimaker Original, Ultimaker Original+, Ultimaker 2 Go, Ultimaker 2 (Extended) and Ultimaker 2+ (Extended).
Networked Ultimaker printers
Firmware for networked Ultimaker printers can be automatically downloaded when the printer is connected to the internet. On the printer, go to System > Maintenance > Firmware update
Networked Ultimaker printers, over USB
If you are unable to connect your Ultimaker a network, it is also possible to install the latest firmware version via USB. Instructions can be found here.
Non-networked Ultimaker printers
The following guide applies to the Ultimaker Original, Ultimaker Original+, Ultimaker 2 Go, Ultimaker 2 (Extended) and Ultimaker 2+ (Extended).
1. In Ultimaker Cura, add and select the appropriate printer.
a. Connect the Ultimaker to the computer with the USB cable.
b. Turn the printer.
2. Open the printer management screen through: System > Printer > Manage Printers..., or in the stage menu: Printer selection panel > Manage printers..., or in the printer management screen, click Update firmware.
3. Choose 'Automatically update firmware' to install the default version, choose 'Upload custom firmware' to choose an alternative version.
4. A pop-up with a progress bar will appear saying ‘Starting firmware update, this may take some time’. Note that the Ultimaker will restart during the procedure.
a. When the upload is complete, you will see the message ‘Firmware update completed’.
5. Click ‘Close’ in all windows to complete the firmware update.