Ultimaker Cura comes preloaded with print profiles for Ultimaker materials to make it easy for you to start printing immediately without a configuration and test prints. When printing with other materials, it is possible to add them yourself.
Print profiles for other materials can be added via the Marketplace or by adding materials manually within the material manager.
The material manager stores your settings, so you can print with your favorite materials every time. To go to the material settings, go to File > Preferences.
- Materials tab. in the preferences panel.
- Activate. Activates the select material from the list as your current material. This can be done quickly by using the configuration panel, part of the stage menu.
- Create. This creates a new material based on PLA as a base.
- Duplicate. This duplicates the selected material.
- Remove. Removes the selected material.
- Import. Allows to import downloaded and shared material profiles.
- Export. Export material profiles.
- Material information. Displays information of the selected material. Default material profiles, like tough PLA, cannot be altered.
- Print settings. Shows the print settings used while printing this material.
- Favorite icon. Appears when hovering the mouse over the materials list. Click the icon to add the material to your material favorites.
Add a custom material
To add a custom material, duplicate a material which physical properties come closest to the new material. This way the printer knows at which temperatures to do filament changes and printer calibrations.
The material settings you have to provide is often easily accessible from the packaging of the filament or the website of the manufacturer.
- Display name. Choose an easily recognizable name that represents your custom material.
- Brand. Enter the brand of the filament manufacturer.
- Material type. This value should remain the same, as the Ultimaker firmware needs this to determine the right temperatures.
- Color. Select the square color icon to change it. Loaded models with this material will be displayed in this color on the build plate.
- Density. The weight of the filament per square centimeter.
- Diameter. Ultimaker only supports 2,85mm filament.
- Filament cost. Enter the cost of your filament spool.
- Filament weight. Enter the weight of a single spool of filament.
- Length and cost per meter. These are automatically calculated by Ultimaker Cura based on the previous settings.
- Description. This field allows to add useful information like filament characteristics and build plate adhesion tips.