It’s now even easier to 3D print – thanks to the Ultimaker 3 App. Start or monitor your prints with a swipe of a finger, and enjoy a streamlined mobile 3D printing experience.
Easy 3D printing from your phone or tablet
We’re passionate about making 3D printing as simple as possible. The Ultimaker 3 app is designed to give you even more mobility allowing you to remotely start a print and monitor progress – all from your mobile device.
- Keep track of progress. The Ultimaker 3 comes with an integrated camera, so you can monitor your print from your smartphone or tablet.
- Start a print. You don’t even need to be in the same room to start printing. As long as you’re connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your Ultimaker 3, you’re good to go.
- Slice models. Thanks to our online slicing service, you can now slice models via your phone or tablet.
- STL and g-code. Currently, the app supports both STL and g-code files.
We’re continually striving to improve your 3D printing experience. As a result, we’ll keep working on the app, which will be extended in the future - with notifications, more dual material profiles and additional remote control functions.
Using your Ultimaker 3 App: 6 easy steps
1. Connect your Ultimaker 3. When you open the app for the first time, you’ll need to search for 3D printers to connect to. Ultimaker 3 printers are network-enabled - please note, your mobile device must be connected to the same local area network as your Ultimaker 3. It’s easy to connect to your printer. Simply select the right model from the list of discovered printers, or manually search for the necessary IP address.
2. Load a 3D model. The app lets you open 3D models in an STL format, as well as ready-made g-code. All you need to do is upload your STL files to a cloud storage provider (e.g. Dropbox, Google Drive etc.) or use the file manager on your device. Then access the files from within the app and check if it’s the right model using the 3D preview function.
3. Match materials. This screen gives you all the information you need about which material configurations the app supports. At present, you can print with PLA, nylon, CPE and ABS, plus the water soluble PVA. Please note, PVA can only be used in the second extruder (in combination with PLA). The app continually checks the printer for loaded materials. This means, if you need to change your configuration, your app will automatically detect the changes.
4. Apply 3D printing settings. There is a variety of settings available in the app. Select one of the optimized quality profiles in the top row, toggle your option for the brim function, then decide whether your print needs a support structure to stop it sagging or printing in mid-air. It really is that easy!
5. Slice your print. Your 3D model is uploaded to our customized cloud slicing server, which has been developed specifically for our mobile app. Here, you’ll be able to view the uploading, slicing and download process.
6. Monitor your Ultimaker 3. Once in the monitoring mode, you’ll be shown the current state and progress of the print. You have the option to intervene at any point by either pausing or aborting the print if required. Need to see it in greater detail? Simply pinch the screen to monitor each layer of the build process (iOS only at the moment). The app will also show you how far the print has progressed, and how much longer there is to go. You don’t need to be in the same room to check your print. As long as you’re connected to the same wireless network as your Ultimaker 3D printer, you can check your progress in real-time, wherever you are.
The Ultimaker 3 App gives you the chance to remotely control your 3D printer (plus monitor its progress), directly from your phone or tablet. Together with your Ultimaker 3, it is designed to make 3D printing even simpler than ever. Enjoy enhanced mobility and future-ready 3D printing experience while your Ultimaker gets to work, and enjoy complete peace of mind by using the live camera monitoring function on the app.
Ready to get started? Download the app today!