We are looking for a talented front-end developer to join our team. Currently, we are working on rebuilding Ultimaker.com to create a fast, reliable, and accessible global website. At the same time, we’re also maintaining the current Ultimaker.com website.
What will you be doing?
As a front-end developer in the Ultimaker.com scrum team, you will be responsible for developing and maintaining the Ultimaker.com codebase. For this project, we are using the strangler pattern: replacing the current application on a path-by-path basis with a better, faster, and more technically advanced one. Starting with /en/resellers, then /en/materials until all traffic is handled by the new application.
Together with other developers you’ll create new components for Ultimaker.com within an SEO optimized universal web application (UWA). The UWA consumes the REST API, which is connected to a standard CMS. You will work side by side with the QA engineer.
You will be working alongside cloud infrastructure engineers on the partial release capability where the old and new applications come together as one.
What will your team look like?
You will work in a talented scrum team of front-end developers, back-end developers, cloud infrastructure engineers, a UX designer, and QA engineer to create the best web experience for visitors to Ultimaker.com.
What we’ve worked on recently
- The creation of a preference bar that focuses on the user, but also complies with GDPR
- The launch of the new Ultimaker S5 3D printer
- Set up greenfield RESTful API on top of our CMS for the front-end to consume
- Containerize application suite on Kubernetes Google Cloud
What will your day in the office look like?
You’ll arrive at the office, grab a cup of coffee and check the scrum board to see where you left off yesterday, or perhaps pick up a new story or bug to work on. At around 9:30 the entire team should be in, and it will be time for the daily standup.
After that you’ll focus on building new front-end components in our design system, Storybook, together with our UX/front-end designer. Then you’ll implement the newly created components in the UWA to consume the new resellers API. After lunch in the canteen with colleagues, you'll have a discussion with our QA engineer and decide to add some unit tests to ensure your code works as expected. Next you’ll have a meeting with the developers and cloud infrastructure engineers to sketch out the next partial release strategy and see how the old and new application can line up for the next release.
Do you fit this profile?
We're looking for candidates who are enthusiastic about building a great user experience and care about the quality of their code.
Also a plus is experience with:
- Source control systems
- CSS preprocessors, like sass or less
- CSS architecture, like atomic design, itcss, and bem
- ECMAScript 2015+
- Writing modular, testable code
- Animation frameworks
- Web bundlers, like webpack
- Continuous integration/continuous delivery
- Consuming REST services
- Web performance optimisation
You’ll be working with
- A scrum team of experienced developers
- Universal node/express web application
- Server side rendering with Vue
- Headless CMS setup with microservices architecture
- Docker containers, hosted on Google Kubernetes Engine
- An accessible website following a11y wcag 2.0 guidelines
- Multilingual colleagues
The benefits of working with us
- A competitive salary in line with your experience
- Ultimaker makes contributions to your pension
- We pay for your daily commute
- 27 days of paid leave per year
- Use of an Ultimaker 3D printer
- An open, family atmosphere, and fun work environment
- Work in a young and energetic team
- Lunch with healthy sandwiches, salads, and a daily special
- A convenient location at Utrecht Central Station
- Room to expand your knowledge by following courses and going to meetups
Ultimaker has been in operation since 2011, and over the years has grown to become a market leader, creating powerful, professional and accessible desktop 3D printers. With offices in the Netherlands, New York, Boston, and Singapore, plus production facilities in both Europe and the US, Ultimaker’s team of over 250 employees continually strives to offer the highest-quality 3D printers, software, and materials on the market.
We offer you the chance to become a part of a young, fast-growing, technically advanced company. We are focused on further developing the Ultimaker, developing the world of 3D printing, and further expanding the skills of our people.
We are ordinary people with extraordinary plans. Creating high-quality products is our driver. Our passion and creativity help us to make the unbelievable believable. Just like our community of tenacious tinkerers, we love to try new ideas and see what works. In fact, they often conceive of wonders we could never have imagined on our own. Together we make one hell of a team.
Interested in working with our awesome team? Please contact Gerard de Graaf by sending your motivation letter and résumé in English or by phone.
Only candidates eligible to work in the EU will be considered for the position. Unfortunately, given the high volume of applications we receive for our vacancies, those professionals (not entitled to work in the Netherlands) will not be given a status update.
Agency calls will not be appreciated.